Great article on an approach to palliative and end-of-life care.
Shared at #BadEMFest18
The 5 minute approach for Goals of Care in the ED from David Wang’s article.
Another resource (with accompanying podcast) for diving straight into this topic.
This is a great article on end of life care in the ICU setting.
Communication is key.
“The term holistic
refers to my conviction that what we are concerned with here is the
fundamental interconnectedness of all things”
– Dirk Gently, Douglas Adams.
- Wang DH. Beyond Code Status: Palliative Care in the Emergency Department. Ann Emerg Med. 2017; 69: 437-443 Beyond Code Status
- Emergency Medicine Cases – Episode 70 End-of-life Care in Emergency Medicine
- Cook D, Rocker G. Dying with Dignity in the Intensive Care Unit. NEMJ. 2014. 370:2506-2514 Dignity with Dying in the ICU
- McQuoid-Mason DJ. Withholding or withdrawing treatment and palliative treatment hastening death: The real reason why doctors are not held legally liable for murder. 2014; 104 (2);102-103 Withholding or withdrawing treatment
- McEwan A, Silverberg JZ. Palliative Care in the Emergency Department. Emerg Med Clin N Am. 2016. 667-685. Palliative Care in the ED
- Mierendorf SM, Gidvani V. Palliative Care in the Emergency Department. Permanente Journal. 2014. 18(2): 77-79 Palliative Care in the Emergency Department
- Royal College of Nursing. Typical Death Trajectory
- ACEP. Palliative Medicine Section. Simple Palliative Care Toolkit
- UW School of Medicine. End of Life Research Programme. Communication Tools. Accessed 2018. Communication Tools
- Psirides A. Das SMACC. 2017. conference presentation. “Everything” at the End of Life
- Gustav-Klimt.com The Tree of Life
Post by @QuirkyMD